Happy Birthday, George: 68 reasons to love George, in honor
of his 68th birthday on 25/02/2011
Compiled by Andrea (anothergirl83)
In no particular order...
01. That talent. He was a
brilliant musician, composer and songwriter.
02. His wit and humor.
03. His honesty.
04. He was the only
man to ever look good with a moustache, in my opinion.
05. That incredible slide guitar playing.
06. He made
top hats work.
07. He reportedly played 26 instruments. 26!
08. He organized the first big charity concert,
for Bangladesh, because he genuinely wanted to help, not because being charitable when you’re famous is the cool thing
09. His complexity.
10. The quiet one? According to his friends and family, it was sometimes difficult
to get him to stop talking. ;)
11. "Not only was George the Beatle who changed most during the lifespan of the group,
he was the one who was seen very differently by different people. To some he was serious, studious and sometimes sulky. Others
saw him as a pleasant, chummy and cheerful lad. Others would say he was far too deep for them. In a way, everyone was right,
and he was all of these things and more. George wasn't a simple person to assess, even once you got to know him, but the one
characteristic that never changed was his fundamental sincerity. George genuinely believed in what he said and did." (From
the Beatles Book Monthly)
12. His love for Olivia and Dhani.
13. The opening chord on "A Hard Day's Night".
Adding the sitar to "Norwegian Wood" and giving the song that certain something.
15. He took the time to reply to fan
letters in e.g. 1963.
16. That inimitable, gorgeous accent!
17. That smile!
18. His acting in "A Hard
19. Every moment he's on screen during "The Beatles Anthology" documentary.
20. All his
anecdotes in "The Beatles Anthology" book.
21. How completely focused he often looked when playing the guitar on stage.
23. Putting India into the minds of the West.
24. His pronunciation of words such as girl, care, hair
25. Arthur. ;)
26. He gave the (musical) world The Traveling Wilburys!
27. He was a big Bob Dylan
fan (geek). ;)
28. The countless photos there are of him eating... and yet, he was so skinny. ;)
29. Let's be
shallow here for a moment: He was gorgeous. Or should that be georgeous?
30. The way his song writing progressed.
The fact that he wowed so many people, including the other Beatles and George Martin, with the knock-out "Something".
His fashion sense – from leather, to jeans, to suits, over striped pants, a fondness for knitwear, psychedelic fashion,
interesting coats... He made it all work.
33. His smile "lit up the page", according to Paul's brother Mike.
35. He could get away with outfits that combined outrageously different patterns in say 1967.
He's nine months younger than Paul.
37. The (infamous) striped pants, particularly of Mad Day Out fame.
His great one-liners at Beatle press conferences.
39. The humor of "This Song".
40. The way he pronounced the
letter "g" (as in "song").
41. Those eyes.
42. His love of fast cars.
43. His love of ukuleles.
His love of gardening.
45. Just call him a guitar fanatic and he was happy.
46. "Friends are all souls that
we've known in other lives. We're drawn to each other. That's how I feel about friends. Even if I've only known them for a
day, it doesn't matter. I'm not going to wait till I've known them two years, because anyway we have met somewhere before,
47. "In Liverpool, when Paul came with us to look at all these guitars, he turned the amp up too high and
broke them all. And my mother paid the fee for him. Paul was my mothers favorite Beatle! I was probably her second or third
48. How wonderfully silly he sometimes was (e.g. the "Crackerbox Palace" video).
49. Every single
song on "Brainwashed".
50. "Marwa Blues", for being unbelievably amazing.
51. The sheer beauty of "Something".
The optimism that "Here Comes the Sun" continues to evoke.
53. His version of "Roll Over Beethoven".
"Ding Dong Ding Dong" video.
55. George in any Beatles footage.
56. The Hamburg days.
57. A special mention
goes to George in the "Revolution" video. Gorgeous.
58. The AHDN shirt scene. Epic.
59. The Help! "fiendish
60. Always keeping a sense of humor.
61. Being able to pull off all-denim outfits.
The rooftop concert outfit.
63. His sarcasm.
64. Taking off with a triple album after the break-up.
"Baptising" an annoying member of the press in L.A.
66. The Pirate Song.
67. Friar Park, the house and its beautiful
garden, looked after by our favorite gardener, George.