A few personal memories of incredible concerts I've been so
very fortunate enough to experience.
August 12, 1998 - Stuttgart, Germany - Ringo
June 11, 2000 - Pine Knob, Michigan - Ringo
May 18, 2003 - Munich, Germany - Paul
June 4, 2004 - Zurich, Switzerland - Paul
December 17, 2009 - Cologne, Germany - Paul
June 27, 2010 - Hyde Park, London, England - Paul
December 1, 2011 - Cologne, Germany - Paul
March 26, 2012 - Zurich, Switzerland - Paul
* * *
August 12, 1998, Stuttgart - Germany
- My first Beatle in concert... and my first-ever rock concert.
- Open air venue, with me in pretty terrible seats practically miles away from the stage.
Not that I cared, I was still within the vicinity of Ringo!
- Cameras were allowed, so I snapped away at the ant-sized figure. I still have those photos,
though only I can tell that it's Ringo.
- Highlights: The dedication of "I Wanna Be Your Man" to "all the German Fraeuleins".
- In a word: Amazing.
June 11, 2000, Pine Knob - Michigan
- Closer to the stage this time, which was nice.
- Some members of the audience seemed to have been left over, in both dress and manner,
from ca. 1964, which was amusing.
- Highlights: "You're Sixteen", just because, cheesily, I was still sixteen at the time.
- In a word: Fab!
May 18, 2003, Munich - Germany
- Open air and, yet again, pretty far away from the stage.
- Scary German security, with death glares and confiscation of cameras.
- Apparently, Klaus Voormann was also in the audience.
- The tribute to George made me cry. Didn't know I was that emotional, really.
- Highlights: "All My Loving", "I've Just Seen A Face", "Birthday", "Back in the U.S.S.R."
- In a word: Mindblowing.
June 4, 2004, Zurich - Switzerland
- Open air, closer to the stage (just a couple hundred meters)... but torrential rain throughout,
soaking everyone. Didn't matter to me!
- The weather was a source of commentary for Paul, with acknowledgments via "tomorrow may
rain, so I'll follow the sun" and "the rain exploded with a might crash".
- Highlights: "You Won't See Me", "She's A Woman", "In Spite Of All the Danger", "I've
Got A Feeling".
- In a word: Awe-inspiring.
December 17, 2009, Cologne - Germany
- Indoor venue (the Koelnarena), pretty good seats with a great view of the stage.
- Very subdued audience, which didn't seem to know any post-1966 Beatles songs, let alone
any Wings or solo songs.
- Highlights: "Magical Mystery Tour", "(I Want To) Come Home", "And I Love Her", "Wonderful
Christmastime", "Day Tripper".
- In a word: Beyond description.
June 27, 2010, London - England
- A very, very hot day and a very,
very fantastic concert.
- A great big outdoor party, with Paul throwing in an extra song, "Tequila" and generally being
in a great mood.
- Highlights: I can't pick, it was all so incredible.
- In a word: Amazing.
December 1, 2011, Cologne - Germany
- The German crowds were once again
- Yeah, it's okay, the arena didn't really need that roof anyway, because frankly, Paul
and his band blew it off and knocked everyone out yet again.
- Highlights: "The Night Before", "Come and Get It", "I Will" and, well, everything else!
- In a word: Astonishing.
March 26, 2012, Zurich - Switzerland
- Must be a continental European
thing, because I ended up (yet again) next to not very animated people. Not that I let that stop me from having a great time.
- Another total knock out performance... and the roof was almost blown off again, too.
- Highlights: "The Night Before",
"My Valentine", "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five"... oh, fine, everything, again!
- In a word: Incredible.